Pages

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Wednesday on the Web

We have been incredibly busy!!! We aren't quite settled into a firm school routine yet, though my hopes are still high!

This past week, family duties made things a little crazy. My Mom and aunt switched houses. Yes, you did read that correctly. My cousin, Jamie, attempts to explain the tendency of certain family members to move around in circles in her blog, so I won't go into the whole story. Let's just say, we are exhausted.

Today, as on every Wednesday while these enrichment classes are going on, we only work on the basics at home - handwriting, reading and math - to make room in the schedule for Cullen's two classes. He is absolutely loving chess! Though he claims that he is learning nothing in the hands-on robotics class, he was discussing this afternoon the difference between 90 degree turns and 180 degree turns and how to tell the robot which one to make. I told him I am pretty sure that counts as learning something!


Between classes, there is always time for bug hunting with friends.
There were plenty of bees and butterflies to follow.




The big attraction for everyone today was an ENORMOUS spider. I am not exaggerating - the creature was over 4 four inches across! It had no fear whatsoever of any of us. Horrible and beautiful at the same time is an odd combination, but that is the only way I can describe it. I think I know what kind of spider it is, but I'm off to look it up, to be sure. Here are photos for your viewing pleasure!


This shot is the underside of the spider as she enjoys her lunch:


Still working on that tasty little bug:



Not the clearest focus, as it was moving rapidly, filling in the center of its web:




A few months ago, Cullen would have been too terrified/grossed-out to really watch this creature. We just finished reading Charlotte's web, so he was much more interested in getting a close look, even if this spider was only "scribbling" on her web!

No comments: